If tequila’s your crying juice, still elicits a hard-stop physical reaction because of that one time, has never been your thing — or if you simply want to sip on something different — Hard Truth has you covered for cocktails this Cinco de Mayo.
Our team has compiled five tequila-alternative drinks for celebrating with. Read below!
#1: Chile Mango Bloody Mary
Add a little sweet and a little spice to a classic this Cinco de Mayo with a Chile Mango Bloody Mary. Hard Truth’s ultra-smooth vodka and Zing Zang Bloody Mary Mix create a tasty base elevated with bright lemon and lime, sweet and fruity mango, and spicy jalapeño. A Tajín rim works as a zingy flavor enhancer that makes it all pop!
2 oz. Hard Truth Original Vodka
½ oz. Lemon juice
½ oz. Lime juice
1 oz. Naked Mighty Mango fruit smoothie
2 slices Jalapeño
1 dash Coarse ground pepper, or to taste
Zing Zang Bloody Mary Mix, to top
Tajín Clásico Seasoning, for rim
Jalapeño slice, lime wedge, and dried chile mango, to garnish
1. Rim collins glass with Tajín, then fill with ice, add jalapeño, and muddle.
2. Add vodka, pepper, and lemon, lime, and mango juices to glass, then top with Zing Zang, and stir.
3. Pick jalapeño, dried chile mango, and lime together. Place across top of glass to garnish, and serve.
#2: Cinnamon Vodka Horchata
Fan-favorite Hard Truth combo cinnamon vodka and toasted coconut rum cream, plus a little jalapeño, bring sweet cinnamon and warm coconut flavor with a pop of spice to traditional horchata.
1. Add vodka, rum cream, horchata, and jalapeños to an ice-filled collins glass.
2. Dust with ground cinnamon across the top and place a cinnamon stick in drink to garnish. Serve.
*We modified a basic horchata recipe with cocktailing specifically in mind. You can find our recipe, HERE.
#3: Pomegranate Paloma
Hard Truth White Oak Reserve Rum takes the place of tequila in this sweet take on a paloma. Our versatile aged rum is a favorite among our mixologists, with oak, caramel, and rye spice flavor notes that give it a unique flexibility in cocktailing.
2 oz. Hard Truth White Oak Reserve Rum
1 oz. Pomegranate juice
1 oz. Grapefruit juice
½ oz. Freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1 oz. Ginger syrup
Soda water, to top
Pomegranate arils and lime wedge, to garnish
1. Add Hard Truth White Oak reserve rum, juices, and ginger syrup to ice-filled collins glass, then top with soda water.
2. Place lemon wedge on glass rim and pomegranate arils in glass to garnish. Serve.
#4: Ring of Fire
‘Feeling spicy? The Ring of Fire celebrates the rich flavor of Hard Truth Sweet Mash Rye Whiskey while pairing it with spicy ancho chile liqueur, tangy blood orange and lime juices, and hot sauce.
2 oz. Hard Truth Sweet Mash Rye Whiskey
½ oz. Ancho Reyes Ancho Chile Liqueur
½ oz. Blood orange juice
½ oz. Lime juice
2 dashes Texas Pete hot sauce
Orange twist, to garnish
1. Add all liquid ingredients to ice-filled bar shaker.
2. Cover, and shake to chill.
3. Single strain into coupe glass, and drop orange twist in drink to garnish. Serve.
#5: Coconut Lime Shake-Up
Lemon shake-ups are all the rage during state fair season, but, for Cinco de Mayo, we’re giving them a lime and coconut makeover. Tangy lime, toasted coconut, and a splash of sugar make for a light, refreshing sipper perfect for any time of day.
2 oz. Hard Truth Toasted Coconut Rum
6 oz. Cold water
1½ oz. Fresh-squeezed lime juice
½ oz. Granulated sugar
Lime wheel, to garnish
1. Add Hard Truth Toasted Coconut Rum, lime juice, half-lime (give it a squeeze as you drop it in), water, and sugar to pint glass, then top with ice.
2. Cover with bar shaker, making sure the two fit snugly together, then shake to incorporate all ingredients.
3. Remove bar shaker, and serve with a straw.